Vulnerability in my image: My journey to finding "balance"

10:14 PM

  October 14, 2013: #transforming #slowlybutsurely #chubbs"


  When I look at this photo, I'm at a loss for words... I was thin, I was unhealthy, my lifestyle was excessive, I was unhappy... It's hard for me to put into words how I feel when I am reminded of how I used to live my life... Back in high school, back in the earlier years of college... I was so obsessed with the thought of being small that the more I tried to deal with it, the unhappier I became... And honestly, I would have put an emoji to cover my face, but I thought it was important to show how unhappy and how tired I was. Even though I was at such a light weight, it's like it sucked the life out of me to get there.

"One-hundred and fifteen pounds... that's still too heavy."
"One-hundred and five pounds... that's still too heavy."
"One-hundred pounds... what else can I do?"

  There was a point in high school where I wouldn't eat lunch with anyone during the day. I'd hide myself away in the library saying I was studying, but really, I was avoiding the awkward questions of, "what are you going to eat today?" or "aren't you going to eat something?" I'd let myself eat very small portions of foods that would sustain me through the school day. When I'd get home, I'd eat small portions at dinner... And then I came to the point where it was face down in the bathroom, with blood dots on my face because I thought I had eaten too much...
  Before I had left for Washington, I was buying clothes in size small, Japanese sizes, and even some of those didn't fit to my waist or hip line. I had gone from being one-hundred and seventeen pounds to a "lucky if I'm at 100," and even then, I would suck my stomach as far in as I could... It didn't help that the culture that we're in highlights that being thin is being beautiful. It doesn't help when your friends or your family make comments about your body in regards to your weight. It definitely was not helpful growing up seeing the many different diets that people around me would do in order to shed quick pounds.

"Why can't I be thin like everyone says I should be?"

  I do know what had triggered me to feel the way I did, but it's not worth mentioning, because it happened again in college. I was stressed with academics. I was stressed with my Army scholarship. Hurtful events of losing my brother and one of my best friends. I was stressed over the heartbreaks I had gone through, and stressed with the heartache I was going through with someone else. I let myself fall subject to verbal and emotional abuse. Almost every day, I was told that I "wasn't small enough" or "not lady enough," or that I "didn't need to eat all of that because I'd regret it."
  I let myself play the role of the victim, but I didn't want to call for help. I went through it every day, eating small portions, and tasteless food, and working out to the point where my body would literally shut down on me and I'd find myself at the emergency room for various factors that all lead to poor nutrition and muscle fatigue. My health was always getting shot down, with every illness that came, the more and more time I spent laying in my apartment, useless to everything else going on in my life. And there were many times that I thought to myself, that there was always an easier way out of this...

but I wasn't going to be a lil' bitch.

  I took control of my life: my emotions, my health, my weak mentality. I'm not sure what happened or when it happened, but gradually I found myself putting my foot down to the negativity in my life. I stopped letting myself being stepped on and dragged around like I was nothing. (Literally, dragged out of a home because of something so ridiculous...) I stopped pointing fingers at things or people I could blame, and changed things that I didn't like.
  You can't kick me out if I'm happily walking my ass out. You can't put me down if I'm surrounded by people who constantly pull me back up. You can tell me a lot of things, but you can't tell me what I can't do ~ because I'll just be here working hard, not to prove you wrong, but to prove I'm right about myself and that I'm stronger than what you make me out to be. There were things in my life that tried to viciously tear me apart, but I pulled together and said no... And now I'm here.
"I can do this."
"You can do this."

  Fast forward to now, I work out every day before work to be healthy, not to lose weight. I normally eat what I want to eat, and enjoy every bite of it. I've been at my happy weight of 120-125 pounds depending on how much fries I've eaten. There are still some health issues that I have, but I'm fighting harder than ever. I've already ran two half marathons and unexpectedly PR'd on my second run. I finished my first full marathon 35 minutes before my goal time. For once, I'm proud of who I see in the mirror... and even though it's always going to be something that I need to work at, I'm happy with the person that I've become... because when I look back at who I was before... I've come a very long way.

Baby Disclaimer: & even though I'm sitting here trying to write about how pumped I am to be on this little fitness journey, I'd greatly appreciate it if you have anything negative to say, then go say it to a wall. Cause this blog has been sitting in my draft folder for almost 6 months now, and I just gained the confidence to post it. So if you're going to be a lil' bitch, go do that somewhere else. kthxbai.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog